TL200 – Word Processing (Editing and Newsletter)
Length: 16-20 sessions, 1 hour each
In the first part of this course, Elementary and middle school students assume the role of an editor. They improve the quality of a document to prepare it for publication. Using Google Docs or Microsoft Word, they learn essential word-processing skills that allow them to edit a collection of tales written for children. An exploration of text, graphic, and page layout formatting techniques allows them to revise stories, comics, and poetry.
In the second part, students learn to create a fan club newsletter and how to work with images, create a collage, co-author an article, or engage in an online discussion.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
· Design a publication for a target audience
· Organize ideas using a planning sheet
· Write articles expressing a viewpoint
· Revise writing to correct errors
· Share a publication in print or electronically
· Adjust line and paragraph spacing
· Reference information sources with footnotes
· Copy, paste, find, and replace text
· Organize content using tables
· Insert page breaks, page numbers, headers, & footers