TL203 Spreadsheet I (Candy and Bakery Sales)
Length: 12-16 sessions, 1 hour each
This course aims to spark student interest with engaging spreadsheet lessons and word processing for beginners.
In the first part, students investigate a problem by conducting a survey and researching candy packaging. Then they develop a plan to boost candy sales by adjusting the colour of the candies in a package. The course shows students how to organize, calculate, and graph data. Based on the evidence, students recommend a solution in a written report.
In the second part, students plan a bake sale to raise money. This task requires them to investigate food preferences and analyze financial data to make decisions about the fundraiser. Findings are organized into a report with graphs to show why their decisions will make the bake sale a success.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
· Connect mathematics to everyday life
· Investigate a problem using spreadsheets
· Conduct a survey and research packaging to collect data
· Develop a plan based on evidence
· Recommend a solution; explain reasoning in a written report
· Organize data in a spreadsheet using multiple sheets
· Interpret results using a single and double bar graph
· Format cells to make data easy to read
· Calculate data using formulas
· Sort data alphabetically and numerically